If you prepare for your English job interview with statements such as “My major was literacy and I have several certificates blah..blah..”, you may find that this is not the correct strategy. What job interviewers want to know is what kind of person you are, rather than what you did. You need to appeal yourself to them.
The best way to attract job interviewers’ attention is to figure out their intentions. Here we suggest some tips and answers we gathered from countless English interviews.
“Self-introduction” is asked by 80% of interviewers. So you need to prepare your unique introduction perfectly. At the same time try to not make it seem like you have memorized it. If people don’t prepare their introduction properly, this could ruin the rest of their interview.
* Answers for Job Interview: You need to demonstrate why you are the right person for the job, while stating your current situation. That is, you need to show that you have the right personality they are looking for. Therefore, you should prepare the following:
1. Make sure what your interviewer is looking for in job applicants.
2. At the beginning of your interview, ask your interviewer what the job is in detail – like this, for example: “I have a number of accomplishments I’d like to tell you about, but I want to make the best use of our time together and talk directly to your needs. To help me do that, could you please tell me more about the most important priorities of this position? So far I just have some limited information from the recruiter, the advertisement for the job, etc.”
Try to avoid this and similar statements:‘I was born in Hoboken, and when I was three we moved …’ (They are not interested in your private business – they are interested in how you are proper for the job.)
Some other examples that will be useful:
1) “I can summarize who I am in three words.”
(This can attract interviewers’ attention immediately. Make sure you are prepared with those three key words which describe yourself)
2) “The quotation I live my life by is…”
(This will tell them you are surely motivated by something)
3) “My personal philosophy is…”
(This will make them think you are a person with strong belief, rather than just simple employee)
4) “People who know me best say that I’m”
(This will make you look like a person having instinction)
5) “Well, I googled myself this morning, and here’s what I found…”
(This may show the interviewers you are humorous. Humor is a tool making yourself impressive)
6) “My passion is…”
(Interviewers want to know who you are, more than what you are doing. What your passion is tells them who you are)
7) “When I was seven years old, I always wanted to be…”
(This shows your passion for a position related to your lifelong dream, and that you are therefore likely well prepared for the position)
8) “If Hollywood made a movie about my life, it would be called..”
(exciting and fun way to express yourself)
9) “Can I show you, instead of tell you?”
(Then you pick something and show it out of your pocket. Who can forget about this witty answer?)
10) “The compliment people give me most frequently is…”
(This recommendation takes a more objective approach, and shows that you are open to people’s feedback)